Monday 16 June 2014

Big 'Bachelorette' drama: Racism and mimes

Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir?


The Bachelorette action has moved to Marseilles, France. Oo, la, la.


Andi Dorfman opened Monday’s episode with a huge smile on her face as she sat down for coffee with turtleneck-sporting host Chris Harrison.


“Have you fallen in love?” he asks.


“Stop!” she says. (And you know about Andi and the word “stop


One-on-one date: Josh


“The Super Bowl would be like your wedding day and everything,” says Josh, a former pro baseball player. “But this is a huge playoff game today.”


The jock and his gal go to buy sandwiches before hopping on a boat. It’s chilly enough for them to have on jackets. They snuggle and smooch as the wind blows their hair.


They seem like a good match, but Andi worries that the attraction is “solely physical.”


For dinner they go to a palace. She’s waiting for an “emotional connection” to kick in.


He talks fast — about his life as a pro baseball player, about being cheating on, about whatever. He leans close to her.


“I feel like I’ve known you for a long time. This is the first time I’ve felt this way in forever,” he states.


She says, “It’s crazy. We’re two kids from Atlanta.” She gives him a rose. And then Ben Fields gives them a private concert.


Josh confesses: “It was one of the best days, if not THE best day, of my entire life.”


‘Blackie’ bombshell: Back at the hotel, JJ tells Marquel that during the first rose ceremony early on, after Ron and Marquel got roses, “Andrew said, ‘Oh, she gave it to the two blackies.’ ”


To the camera, JJ confesses: “I heard blackies. Maybe he said black guys, but…” He adds, “I wasn’t that drunk.”


Marquel is upset.


He wants to confront Andrew, but decides to “gather” his thoughts before doing anything.


“Sometimes no matter how you treat a person, they have this idea of you,” says Marquel to the camera, getting choked up. ” I hate getting emotional over it but … look, it’s crazy to think the first thing people are going to recognize about me is ‘OK, he’s a black guy.’ … It would be nice to not be seen as, ‘Hey, this is the black guy.’ But I guess that’s what it is.”


He dabs tears from his eyes. It makes him all the more adorable as it makes villain Andrew all the more despicable.


Group dateMarcus, Dylan, Chris, J.J., Marquel, Cody, Nick, Patrick, Andrew


What do you do on a group date in France? Mime school. Because relationships are about “non-verbal communication,” explains Andi. What?


“Seriously? Miming?” says Chris.


An instructor in whiteface shows them how to express their emotions through gestures. “The instructor’s tough. He lets you know when you’ve screwed up. But he doesn’t yell at you,” cracks Andrew.


They take it to the public square and the guys ham it up pretty well, except for one: Nick. “He’s not happy,” says Andi.


“I don’t want to be the guy who’s like, ‘Group dating’s fun,’” he confesses, but he is that guy.


Later, at the cocktail party, JJ whisks Andi away to a nearby Ferris wheel. “What better way to have alone time with her?!” he says. She oohs and aahs. “JJ went for it. And he went big!”


Back at the party, the guys gang up on Nick. Cody accuses Nick of mocking him. Patrick accuses Nick of “arrogance.”


Chris tries to tell Andi what’s going on. So does Cody.


Andi, who sounds like she’s battling a cold, confronts Nick. (Are you still with me?)


“It’s hard for me,” she says to Nick. They clearly have chemistry. “There’s this mental, emotional connection with him that’s off the charts,” confesses Andi.


Nick admits he was mocking Cody a few days earlier, but downplays it. Andi wonders if he’s “a little manipulative. Am I being fooled by this?”


Nick reads a letter/poem/ode he wrote to her. “When I see you, I see a future,” is the final line.


“Are you going to kiss me already or what?” she says. They have an easy time smooching.


And then Marquel confronts Andrew about the “blackies” remark.


“That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard in my life,” says Andrew, looking shocked. “I’ve never said anything like that in my entire life.”


Marquel goes on to say, “I find it hard to be around you. I find it hard to respect you.”


Andrew says it’s not true. “This is complete bull—-. I don’t understand why, whoever it was, decided to make that statement. I swear to God I didn’t say that.”


Marquel stays cool and calm. “Maybe he did say it. Maybe he didn’t say it. I’m not going to sit up all night and say, ‘Who’s really telling the truth? I spoke my truth.” He walks off, and we never see him get any time with Andi.


Andrew, who does get time with her, says “This whole drama really kind of stinks.” He’s wondering if he should stay in the competition.


Andi gives a rose to JJ, who never says anything more about it all.


And Nick pouts about not getting a rose.


One-on-one date: Brian


Andi and Brian go to see The Hundred-Foot Journey, a movie coming out in August about an Indian family that opens a restaurant in Paris. It inspires them to cook.


They start with frogs’ legs.


Brian is not into cooking. He gets really quiet. The date isn’t going well. “I’m telling you: I’m not a good cook,” he says.


Andi confesses, “He’s just so timid and not what I was expecting. … It’s a bummer.”


They decide to go to a sidewalk cafe for some real food. Things get better as he explains he was way out of his comfort zone in the kitchen. They kiss at the cafe and she tells him to kiss her more.


“Our chemistry is good. I still believe in us and want to give us a chance,” she confesses. Andi gives him a rose.


He takes her to the back of the kitchen and kisses her more. He’s sweet and Andi’s impressed.


Cocktail party: Andi, elegant in a sparking strapless navy gown, tells Chris Harrison it’s been a “great romantic week,” but she doesn’t think there needs to be a cocktail party. “I’m very sure about relationships that aren’t going anywhere.” She’s got three guys in mind that should go home.


Meanwhile, the guys are feeling tense as several of them want one-on-one time with Andi. But no dice.


“Sucks,” says Cody.


Rose ceremony: Andi explains that she wants to “cut to the chase.” Getting roses: Josh, JJ and Brian, along with Marcus, Nick, Chris, Dylan and Cody.


Sent home: A smirking Andrew, who claimed to be “disappointed;” Patrick and Marquel. “I came here for the opportunity to fall in love. Unfortunately it wasn’t in God’s plan right now,” said Marquel, again wiping tears away. “I’m not anything special, but I want love real bad.” Online, a Twitter campaign erupted rallying for Marquel to be the next Bachelor.


Next week: Venice


.”) “Don’t ask me that.”


“Is it just one guy?” he says.


“No,” she admits.


So who’s stealing her heart? Here’s how things played out with her 11 guys:



Big 'Bachelorette' drama: Racism and mimes

No comments:

Post a Comment